Thursday, February 25, 2010

England Through My Eyes 6

The beauty of travelling alone is that it is easier for people to strike a conservation with you. For almost the whole journey from the Cotswolds to London (about 2 hours plus), I had an interesting conversation with Dawn, a

37yo working mother with a 16-mth baby boy named Brandon. She was going to London for a sales presentation at a hotel for her company’s products – pre-blended aroma oils (I tried a couple). We talked about her life in Canada, South Africa and Australia, her wedding, the decision to raise their family in the countryside, her adjustment to be a mother (she said she was selfish over the time for herself initially but now actually thinking of quitting her job and be with the baby), her love towards her baby and husband, about friendship etc. On hindsight, it was amazing how much 2 strangers can share about their life!

Sophie

Sophie

I stayed at Wimbledon for 2 nights, it’s Jennifer’s in-laws’ apartment (her in-laws went to Germany for holiday). Jennifer is another internet friend, living in Gillingham, Kent. Her husband, Steve, makes a living by selling

movie memorabilia over the internet. Guess what’s the hottest selling item now? Anything about Darth Maul of Star Wars Episode 1. Their 2yo daughter, Sophie, simply adored Darth Maul, so much so that she actually ran to hug a life-size figure of him at a fast food joint. Wasn’t Darth Maul invented as the evilest character, thus with a scary face? Time to remodel the traditionally adorable teddy bear perhaps? Anyway, guess how Steve and Jennifer met? Via internet! This is another “You’ve Got Mail” story. She lived in New York and he is from London. Fascinating huh?

When we opened the apartment’s door, there was a stench. The culprit was a cat. You see, their in-laws entrusted an old neighbour to take care of the cat’s litter and her meals but it seemed that nothing was done. That got Steve quite worried as the last time that happened (another old neighbour), the poor lady was later found dead in her flat. Thankfully, this time nothing happened to the neighbour, old folk’s forgetfulness perhaps.

It wasn’t until the Lake District that I finally slept on a proper bed. All the while it was sofas, or sofa beds or in this case, an air-bed. I had no qualms about all that but this time, I would be sleeping with the cat less than 1m from my face. The empty space under the cabinet next to my makeshift bed was her cosy little corner. Not a very welcoming prospect as I hate cats and she stank a little and I didn’t know if she would jump on me in the middle of the night. Anyhow, I survived 2 uneventful nights. I guess exhaustion helped.

0 comments:

Post a Comment