A Trip of Lasting Memories
Shanghai, China

–>


CAPTION

We were supposed to dock at Chonquing at nine in the morning. Due to heavy fog, we were four hours late. Although we skipped a few tours on the itinerary, at least we saw the pandas.

The cr�me de la cr�me of the China trip? You guessed it – the Great Wall of China and Tiananmen Square. The Great Wall is recognizable from the moon – it is that long. The section of the wall we climbed was Juyong Guan. This part was constructed in the 5th century and considered most strategically important because of its position as a link to Beijing. Huffing and puffing, I climbed as far as I could. The steps ranged in sizes from small to steep. Since I hadn’t been at the gym the past two weeks, I was surprised my thighs weren’t more sore.

Tiananmen Square is the largest square in the world. It is best remembered by the 1989 rally when tanks and soldiers cut down the pro-democracy demonstrators. We passed by this famous square at night when it was lit up. I wanted to return in the evening and walk around it. But I heard there were demonstrations a few days prior, so I decided not to go.

Where had the two weeks gone? Feeling depressed at the end of the trip, I knew there would be plenty of wonderful memories – from the bus breakdown to the small dinky airline that took us from Shanghai to Wuhan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment