Saturday, February 6, 2010

Chicago, Illinois – August 1999

Last Halloween I saw a theater show that completely enraptured me, like nothing I had ever seen before. It was Redmoon Theater’s Halloween Lantern Parade and Spectacle, and hundreds of people were gathered around the steps of the Field Museum to see their free performance.

Skeletons danced and beat on drums while telling a story strictly through movement. Huge and grotesque creatures made of bamboo and rice paper loomed menacingly over the skeletons and gave the show a macabre Japanese feel. I could see that the crowd was enthralled by the rhythmic drumming and fiery acrobatics.

A young woman handed out fliers at the end of the show, and I was so impressed that I called the number and asked if there was anyway that I could get involved with Redmoon Theater. They told me to come join their annual Winter Pageant and I eagerly obliged.

Seeing their work from the inside out, I witnessed an incredible combination of passion and imagination as the performers intricately put on a dazzling show of underwater mysticism. Fish, sea horses, and even dragons all intertwined to tell a simple story of love and joy. As a jellyfish, I myself floated and danced around while trying to contain my own elation. It was exhilarating to make hundreds of Chicagoans happy with our show.

Hands down, Redmoon Theater is the best show I have ever seen in Chicago. It is unique and so amazingly mystical and graceful. This month it is time again for a glorious show called “Long Live the King (the king is dead)”. Here is the official press release:

REDMOON THEATER REMOUNTS

“LONG LIVE THE KING (THE KING IS DEAD)”

AT THE CHICAGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Redmoon Theater is pleased to announce that it will remount its popular theater spectacle, “Long Live the King (the king is dead),” at the Chicago Historical Society from August 8th through 19th.

“Long Live the King (the king is dead)” enjoyed a highly successful run during the summer and early fall of 1998 at neighborhood parks and festivals throughout Chicago. The production received a “Highly Recommended” rating from the Chicago Sun-Times while the Chicago Reader named it a “Critic’s Choice” selection saying that it, “…combines a mobile, visually stunning set with sweet, eerie images of life on the road and Keystone Kops-style comedy.”

Tower

“Long Live the King (the king is dead)” tells the story of a nomadic royal family who find themselves in a strange, new world of domestic living. A 20-foot metal tower serves as the set where costumed performers occupy themselves with the timeless tasks of daily life. This poetic comedy about the nobility of the human spirit features a wedding, a funeral, and extravagant, rolling set pieces. The performance showcases Redmoon’s award winning blend of puppetry, mask, live music and other dynamic elements to create a unique theater spectacle.

“Long Live the King (the king is dead)”

August 8 – 19

Monday – Friday 7:00 p.m.

Sunday 3:00 p.m. and 7:00pm

No shows on Saturday.

Chicago Historical Society, Clark Street at North Avenue, Chicago

Admission: $10 for adults, $5 for children

Discounted rates are available for members of Chicago Historical Society or Redmoon Theater.

Redmoon

Tickets available by calling the Chicago Historical Society at (312) 642-4600, or in person at the Chicago Historical Society box office.

Further Information: Craig D.B. Patton, Marketing Director (773) 388-9031

General Info on Chicago

If the United States are one big melting pot, then Chicago is definitely one of the spiciest flavors of the stew.

With dozens of ethnic communities, artistic villages, and entertainment districts, the City of Big Shoulders can please even the most scrutinizing pleasure-seeker. Lake Michigan also adds to the excitement, and city life seems to flock to the shore at the first hint of spring—refusing to desert it and extracting every last moment of good weather until the inevitable arrival of winter.

Chicago is definitely the forerunner in many big-city categories. It’s architecture is second to none in the U.S., with influences from such big names as Wright, Louis, and Sullivan.

Its diverse array of quality foods is mind-boggling, having almost every type of ethnic dish from dolmades to pad thai—as well as the famous deep-dish pizza and Chicago-style hot dog.

Entertainment also ranks high as the fierce music, theater, and art scenes vie for attention from the city’s millions.

And with extensive train, bus, and taxi availability, transportation to a favorite bar or opera show is never far away.


A Little Info on Daniel

Hey everybody. I’m 24 years old and I live in Naperville, a Chicago suburb and the 2nd largest town in Illinois.

I was born and raised in the city and I go back as often as possible. Some of my friends from Naperville think that I’m out of the country because I’m in Chicago so much. In fact, my fiancee and I will be moving back into the city in May 2000.

As far as my interests go, I guess you could call me a Renaissance Man. I love drawing, painting, theater, photography, and music. I am currently the lead singer/guitarist for the Chicago-based band Shampoo Effect.

I love hiking, canoeing, and just plain old adventuring anywhere. Some of my craziest climbs have been Sugarloaf Mountain (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) and French Canyon (Starved Rock State Park, Illinois). Both were done without any climbing gear and I think I must have been insane. But I’d gladly do them both again in a heartbeat.

I’ve traveled to Canada, Brazil, Singapore, and France, as well as all over the United States. But I must say that I am pretty damn lucky to live in such a wonderful city as Chicago.

As far as boots are concerned, I’ve only worn Lake of the Woods and they’re fine with me. I’m more of a gym shoes kinda guy though.

0 comments:

Post a Comment