Saturday, February 6, 2010

Chicago, Illinois – June 1999

There are certain things in Chicago that are very hidden. Some things that one would never realize without getting out there and trying to experience new and different things. I happened to be lucky enough to experience a very powerful essence of Chicago’s rich history a few years ago. I was lucky enough to actually feel the blues.


bgcolor="#cbcbcb">

height="5" width="1">

Buddy Guy's  Legends

Buddy Guy’s Legends Blues Club

Sure, everybody knows that Chicago is blues, but it must be experienced to be fully appreciated. Back in 1995, I had my first taste of the gritty soul of blues music, when some of my friends took me to Buddy Guy’s Legends in the heart of downtown.

Jimmy Johnson, one of those rare living legends in the blues world, was playing that night – and my friends were mad with anticipation. The house was packed and we had fortunately gotten there early enough to grab a table. (Note: I recommend getting there no later than 8:30pm if anybody famous is playing.) Finally, the Jimmy Johnson Band took the stage, and the crowd roared.

My life at the time was very chaotic: I had just broken up with a girl that strung me out like laundry. I had canned my path of going to medical school (which was my parents’ dream—not mine). I was about to graduate with no job and it suddenly seemed like college had been a complete waste of time. I was a very embittered person. But when Jimmy Johnson started moaning and groaning, and wailing on his guitar, I started to actually feel the blues. It was a moment of enlightenment that can be best described as a spiritual cleansing. I suddenly felt happy about being sad, as paradoxical as that may sound. Blues was giving me an objective clarity about my life, that told me, “hey, everybody goes through this kind of crap, so just chill.” It’s like laughing in the face of strife and hardship. People in the audience were feeling camaraderie, enjoying music and feeling general goodwill to complete strangers. I was completely changed from that night on.

Buddy Guy’s Legends is located at 754 South Wabash, just west of Michigan Avenue and south of the Congress Parkway. Phone: (312) 427-0333.


bgcolor="#cbcbcb">

height="5" width="1">

“B.L.U.E.S.” Blues Bar on Halsted

As great as Buddy Guy’s Legends may be, my favorite blues bar in Chicago has got to be B.L.U.E.S. on Halsted. It is a small venue where you are right in the performer’s lap. People pack the house to come see some raw and electrifying, in-your-face blues. It is here where you can come alone but possibly leave with a few new friends – the camaraderie that this small venue produces is unbelievable. Unfortunately you have missed Ronnie Baker Brooks playing on May 28. He scorches on his guitar with a raw vibrato that’ll knock you out. He reminds me of Stevie Ray Vaughan, but alas nobody comes close to the master.

B.L.U.E.S. is located at 2519 N. Halsted, in the heart of Lincoln Park, north of Fullerton and south of Diversey (just a few blocks west of the lake). Phone: (773) 528-1012. There is also a really good Thai restaurant right next door, P.S. Bangkok 2, at 2521 N. Halsted. Prices range from $6.95 to $12.95 for hearty plates.

And if you still can’t get enough of the blues after a long night,


bgcolor="#cbcbcb">

height="5" width="1">

Kingston Mines for a late dessert?

Kingston Mines is open until 4am (Saturdays until 5am!). There are two stages here (the venue is also expanding) where you can catch one or more local bands playing.

Carl Weathersby plays here a lot and he is worth seeing, along with other great local talents. However, don’t come here to see top-notch blues – it’s simply a place to get your dessert after a long night of blues if you simply can’t get enough. Billy Branch, a master of the harmonica, is playing on June 11 and 12 at 9:30pm.

Kingston Mines is located just down the street from B.L.U.E.S. at 2548 N. Halsted. Phone: (773) 477-4646.

There are other blues venues, but it seems like they play musical chairs with quality and openings. Please don’t let House of Blues fool you into thinking that it’s a blues venue. Although blues bands do occasionally play here, it is a large and touristy concert-type venue where national acts come through. You definitely won’t experience the real blues here.

For those who want to experience Blues in the wild, June sees the 15th Annual Blues Festival in Grant Park. It runs from June 4-7. You can check out the “official” home page for a full list of performers and times.

General Info on Chicago

If the United States are one big melting pot, then Chicago is definitely one of the spiciest flavors of the stew.

With dozens of ethnic communities, artistic villages, and entertainment districts, the City of Big Shoulders can please even the most scrutinizing pleasure-seeker. Lake Michigan also adds to the excitement, and city life seems to flock to the shore at the first hint of spring—refusing to desert it and extracting every last moment of good weather until the inevitable arrival of winter.

Chicago is definitely the forerunner in many big-city categories. It’s architecture is second to none in the U.S., with influences from such big names as Wright, Louis, and Sullivan.

Its diverse array of quality foods is mind-boggling, having almost every type of ethnic dish from dolmades to pad thai—as well as the famous deep-dish pizza and Chicago-style hot dog.

Entertainment also ranks high as the fierce music, theater, and art scenes vie for attention from the city’s millions.

And with extensive train, bus, and taxi availability, transportation to a favorite bar or opera show is never far away.


A Little Info on Daniel

Hey everybody. I’m 24 years old and I live in Naperville, a Chicago suburb and the 2nd largest town in Illinois.

I was born and raised in the city and I go back as often as possible. Some of my friends from Naperville think that I’m out of the country because I’m in Chicago so much. In fact, my fiancee and I will be moving back into the city in May 2000.

As far as my interests go, I guess you could call me a Renaissance Man. I love drawing, painting, theater, photography, and music. I am currently the lead singer/guitarist for the Chicago-based band Shampoo Effect.

I love hiking, canoeing, and just plain old adventuring anywhere. Some of my craziest climbs have been Sugarloaf Mountain (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) and French Canyon (Starved Rock State Park, Illinois). Both were done without any climbing gear and I think I must have been insane. But I’d gladly do them both again in a heartbeat.

I’ve traveled to Canada, Brazil, Singapore, and France, as well as all over the United States. But I must say that I am pretty damn lucky to live in such a wonderful city as Chicago.

As far as boots are concerned, I’ve only worn Lake of the Woods and they’re fine with me. I’m more of a gym shoes kinda guy though.

0 comments:

Post a Comment